So you missed a couple of teeth cleanings, slacked on brushing and flossing, and now you have periodontal disease. What this means is that you have an infection of the structures around your teeth. If you’re lucky, you might have caught the disease in its early stages. However, if you’re feeling a lot of discomfort and pain, you could be further along in your periodontal disease. Regardless of your stage, if you are diagnosed with periodontal disease, you need to see a periodontist as soon as possible.
EARLY SIGNS OF PERIODONTAL DISEASE
If you have periodontal disease, this means your gums are infected with bacteria. There are a couple of symptoms that should alert you concerning periodontal disease:
- Swollen and bleeding gums
- Bad breath
- Slight redness of your gums
These are all warning signs that you may be in the early stages of periodontal disease. If you have been diagnosed with the disease, then you may already be experiencing some of these issues. If you are, you should take action and schedule an appointment with your local periodontist.
WHY SHOULD I SEE A PERIODONTIST INSTEAD OF A GENERAL DENTIST?
Periodontists differ from dentists in that their specialty is a focus on infections of the gum, structures of the teeth, and tissues. At San Antonio’s KRK Implant Center, expertly trained periodontists like Dr. Krueger have received years of education regarding periodontal disease. Not only can these trained professionals treat your disease, but they can help advise you in the future on how to keep your gums healthy. These are some of the main reasons you should see a specialist if you have gum disease:
- Advanced training and education: Periodontists have specialized education and are well trained in periodontal disease. San Antonio patients can feel assured that Dr. Krueger has years of experience and is an expert in handling your specific needs at KRK Implant Center.
- Deeper analysis: Although dentists can help with the basics, a periodontist can let you know affirmatively whether or not you have gum disease and the best course of action for you.
- More experience handling periodontal disease: San Antonio periodontist Dr. Krueger has hundreds of patients every year. Because he is a specialist, he deals with frequent cases of periodontal disease, which gives him an impressive amount of experience with treatment.
General dentists can help in very early stages of the disease, but if it’s progressing or further along, it’s best to see a periodontist who has the extra skills it takes to provide the best treatment. So if you know you have periodontal disease, don’t waste any more time. If left untreated, the disease can ultimately lead to receding jawbones, unstable teeth, and ultimately tooth loss.
To make an appointment today, call our San Antonio office at 210.826.3946. Dr. Krueger will work with you personally to find the best treatment for your disease as soon as possible.